Media Coverage and Mention
- Ungrading. 1A. NPR. August 11.
- Pedagogies of Care: Ungrading. Tea for Teaching Episode 145. July 22. http://teaforteaching.com/
- Ungrading in a Pandemic—And the Rest of the Time, Too. Pedagogies of Care Collection, edited by Victoria Mondelli and Thomas J. Tobin. https://soundcloud.com/thomas-tobin-559250547/blum-ungrading-in-a-pandemic-and-the-rest-of-the-time-too
- Ellis, Lindsay. “Cheat on Your Homework? In This Harvard Class, Just Say You’re Sorry.” The Chronicle of Higher Education. January 23. https://www.chronicle.com/article/Cheat-on-Your-Homework-In/247902
- Kaiser, Maya, Yingyi Ma, and Qiuling Chao. “Are Western Universities Doing Enough for their Chinese Students?” Times Higher Education. December 12. https://www.timeshighereducation.com/features/are-western-universities-doing-enough-their-chinese-students
- “(Un)grading with Susan Blum.” The Sausage of Science, Hacademics SoS56. December.https://soundcloud.com/humanbiologyassociation/sos-56-hackademics-ungrading-with-susan-blum
- Human Restoration Project. Making the Switch to Ungrading. Podcast. August 31. https://www.humanrestorationproject.org/things-fall-apart/switching-to-ungrading
- Supiano, Beckie. “Grades Can Hinder Learning. What Should Professors Do Instead?” The Chronicle of Higher Education. July 19. https://www.chronicle.com/interactives/20190719_ungrading
- Flaherty, Colleen. When Grading Less Is More. Inside Higher Ed. April 2. https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019/04/02/professors-reflections-their-experiences-ungrading-spark-renewed-interest-student
- The Ethnographic Nook – In the Aftermath of Humbuggery: Interview with Susan Blum. EASA (European Association of Social Anthropologists) Network of Ethnographic Theory. December 13. https://networkofethnographictheory.wordpress.com/
- Huber, Mary Taylor. Is College for Everyone? (Review of Susan D Blum, I Love Learning) Change: The Magazine of Higher Learning 49 (1) (2017): 7-13. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00091383.2017.1265378
- Thorkelson, Eli. “Susan Blum, ‘I Love Learning, I Hate School’.” Academography: Critical Ethnography & Higher Education. September 20. https://academography.org/author/decasia/
- “Susan D. Blum on her book “I Love learning; I Hate School”: An Anthropology of College.” Cover Interview, September 4. Rorotoko: Cutting-Edge Intellectual Interviews. http://rorotoko.com/interview/20170904_blum_susan_on_book_i_love_learning_i_hate_school_anthropology/
- Lang, James. “Small Changes or Big Revolutions? A new book says the higher-education model is too broken to be fixed piecemeal.” The Chronicle of Higher Education. June 19. http://chronicle.com/article/Small-Changes-or-Big/236839
- New and Noteworthy—9 June 2016. “A must-read.” Times Higher Education. https://www.timeshighereducation.com/books/reviews-new-and-noteworthy-9-june-2016
- Gershon, Ilana. “Blum on the publication of her new book, ‘I Love Learning; I Hate School’: An Anthropology of College.” CaMP Anthropology. May 30. https://campanthropology.wordpress.com/2016/05/30/susan-blum-love-learning-hate-school/
- Stowe, Gene. “How do we integrate learning with life?” Notre Dame News. May 5. http://news.nd.edu/news/66815-how-do-we-integrate-learning-with-life/
- Neuberger, Sarah. “‘What do I have to do to get an A?’ – New Book Explores How College Students Learn.” Kellogg Institute for International Studies. April 7. http://kellogg.nd.edu/news/blum.shtml
- Warner, John. “I Love Learning; I Hate School”. Just Visiting. Inside Higher Ed. March 31. https://www.insidehighered.com/blogs/just-visiting/i-love-learning-i-hate-school
- “Is plagiarism on the rise?” Radio Times. WHYY. November 19. http://whyy.org/cms/radiotimes/2013/11/19/plagiarism/
- Glazer, Sarah. “Plagiarism and Cheating: Are They Becoming More Acceptable in the Internet Age?” CQ [Congressional Quarterly] Researcher. January 4. Vol. 23, No. 1: 1-29. http://library.cqpress.com/cqresearcher/document.php?id=cqresrre2013010400&abstract=false&PHPSESSID=q5rtr89sn0j4bpun7mq3gh96r7
- FlorCruz, Michelle. “China Cracks Down on Academic Fraud.” International Business Times. January 3. http://www.ibtimes.com/china-cracks-down-academic-fraud-990422
- Bouffard, Kevin. "Citrus Research Center Director Accused of Stealing Data for Journal Article." The Ledger.com. October 10. http://www.theledger.com/article/20121010/NEWS/121019938?p=all&tc=pgall
- Interviewed and quoted in Lynn Rosen, “From the Content Director: You Can’t Say That Again. Preventing Plagiarism in a Web Full of Words.” Publishing Executive. September. http://www.pubexec.com/article/you-cant-say-that-again-preventing-plagiarism-web-full-words/1
- Interviewed and quoted in Alisha Azevedo, “As Online Courses Grow, Sites Offering Unauthorized Academic Help Get More Brazen.” The Chronicle of Higher Education. Wired Campus. September 21. http://chronicle.com/blogs/wiredcampus/as-online-courses-grow-sites-offering-unauthorized-academic-help-get-more-brazen/40028
- Appeared as panelist on “Today” show, “Academic Fraud,” China Radio International. August 24. http://english.cri.cn/8706/2012/08/24/2861s718617.htm
- Interviewed and quoted in Annie Massa, “Opinion: What Students Can Learn from Jonah Lehrer’s Career-Costing Mistake.” USA Today College. August 10. http://www.usatodayeducate.com/staging/index.php/campuslife/opinion-what-students-can-learn-from- jonah-lehrers-career-costing-mistake
- Parry, Marc. “Software Catches (and Also Helps) Young Plagiarists.” The Chronicle of Higher Education. November 6. http://chronicle.com/article/Escalation-in-Digital/129652/?sid=wb&utm_source=wb&utm_medium=en.
- Halasek, Kay. “Review: Theorizing Plagiarism in the University.” College English 73 (5): 548-568.
- van Hamme, Kris. “Generatie Copy-Paste: Universiteiten voeren strijd op tegen PLAGIATT in thesissen.” Apart Weckend, de Tijd [Belgium]. June 18. P. 39.
- Mott, Vivan W. Review of Blum, S. D. (2009). My Word! Plagiarism and College Culture. New York, NY: Cornell University Press. Adult Education Quarterly 61 (2) (2011): 201-203. DOI: 10.1177/0741713610389786
- Daniloff, Caleb. “Unoriginal Sins: (Re)Defining Plagiarism in the Digital Age.” BU Today. Campus Life. December 6. http://www.bu.edu/today/node/12001.
- Interviewed and quoted in Lin Feng, “Does the Internet Contribute to Student Plagiarism?” [in Chinese] Voice of America, Chinese Edition. August 20. http://www.voanews.com/chinese/news/20100820-Internet-Plagiarism.html.
- Howard, Rebecca Moore, and Missy Watson. “The Scholarship of Plagiarism: Where We’ve Been, Where We Are, What’s Needed Next.” WPA: Writing Program Administration 33 (3): 116-124.
- Young, Elizabeth. Book Review, My Word: Plagiarism and College Culture. LOEX Quarterly 37: 2-3.
- Appeared on Wisconsin Public Radio, At Issue with Gene Purcell in for Ben Merens. WPR. August 3. http://wpr.org/search/ideas_program_search.cfm?StartYear=3&keyword=susan+blum&x=0&y=0.
- Gabriel, Trip. “Plagiarism Lines Blur for Students in Digital Age.” The New York Times. August 1. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/02/education/02cheat.html?src=me&ref=general.
- Quoted in Chih-Chiao Lai, “Increasing Popularity of Plagiarism Detection Software in US Universities” [in Chinese]. Voice of America, Chinese Edition. July 8. http://www1.voanews.com/chinese/news/education/20100708-plagiarism-college-admission-98063349.html.
- Appeared on Radio Boston, WBUR. “How Could This Happen? Plagiarism, Fraud In Academia.” May 18. http://www.wbur.org/2010/05/18/harvard-deception.
- Interviewed by University of Notre Dame, "Academically Speaking: Susan D. Blum." March 10. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJzxtiIY8lM. Accessed October 10, 2019.
- Pascal, Cynthia. Review of My Word! Plagiarism and College Culture. NACADA (National Academic Advising Association) 39 (1). http://www.nacada.ksu.edu/Journal/bkrev_1158.htm. Accessed February 16, 2010.
- Roberts, Tim S. Review of My Word! Plagiarism and College Culture. Teachers College Record. January 11. http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentId=15894. Accessed February 16, 2010.
- Whalley, W. Brian. Review of My Word!: Plagiarism and College Culture. Ariadne 62 (January). http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue62/whalley-rvw/. Accessed February 15, 2010.
- Pacton, Adam. Review of My Word: Plagiarism and College Culture. Anthropology Review Database. November 25. Electronic document, http://wings.buffalo.edu/ARD/cgi/showme.cgi?keycode=3457, accessed January 6, 2010.
- “Case of the Purloined Term Paper: When Work is Resold.” Mary Beth Marklein. USA Today. November 19. http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2009-11-19-termpapers19_ST_N.htm.
- “In Lecture, Notre Dame Prof. Encourages Learning for Learning’s Sake.” Michigan Daily. November 23. www.michigandaily.com/content/lecture-notre-dame-prof-encourages-learning-learnings-sake.
- “Notre Dame Professor Speaks on Plagiarism.” Sean Abdoli. Crimson White (University of Alabama). September 25. P. 3. Also available at http://www.uwire.com/Article.aspx?id=4452272.
- “Modern Plagiarism.” Tricia Bertram Gallant. Review of My Word! Plagiarism and College Culture. Academe Online (AAUP). September-October. http://www.aaup.org/AAUP/pubsres/academe/2009/SO/br/brgall.htm.
- “My Word! Plagiarism and College Culture: How Facebook killed originality.” Louise Walden. Times (UK) Higher Education Supplement. September 10.
- Featured in College of Arts and Sciences Convocation, Zayed University, United Arab Emirates, address by Dean Michael Allen. August.
- “Teachers Blamed for Students Cheating.” Research Writing and College Life. August 9. http://www.papermasters.com/blog/teachers-blamed-for-students-cheating/#comments. [Online paper mill]
- “Share and Share Alike: Why Students Plagiarize.” Notre Dame Magazine. Jennifer Ochstein. Summer. Pp. Also http://magazine.nd.edu/news/11854-share-and-share-alike-why-students-plagiarize.
- “JSU Pres. Puts Focus on Plagiarism: Authors Advise Students on Ways to Avoid Similar Situations.” Brittney Knox. The Crimson White (University of Alabama). July 2. http://www.cw.ua.edu/jsu-pres-puts-focus-on-plagiarism-1.1771504.
- “Plagiarism.” Counterpoint. ABC (Australian Radio Corporation) Radio National. June 1. http://www.abc.net.au/rn/counterpoint/stories/2009/2584540.htm.
- “Anthropologist: It’s More than Bones and Pots.” South Bend Tribune. April 26. P. F1.
- “Cand.kopi.” Johanne Mygind. Information.dk [Denmark]. April 24. http://www.information.dk/189030.
- “TurnItIn.comWins a Major Victory Against College Students.” Research Writing and College Life. April 23. http://www.papermasters.com/blog/turnitin-wins-major-victory-against-college-students/. [Online paper mill]
- “Studying in the U.S.: Beware of Essay Mills.” Voice of America News (Special English). April 22. Transcript at http://www.voanews.com/specialenglish/2009-04-22-voa3.cfm.
- “It’s Not Theft, It’s Pastiche.” Christine Rosen. The Wall Street Journal. April 16. P. A13.
- “Cheating Goes Global as Essay Mills Multiply: From Virginia to Manila: On the Trail of Papers for Cash.” Thomas Bartlett. The Chronicle of Higher Education. March 20.
- “Students Plagiarize because they Can.” Katherine Wolfe. Minnesota Daily. February 9. http://www.mndaily.com/2009/02/07/students-plagiarize-because-they-can.
- “It’s Culture, Not Morality.” Inside Higher Education. February 3. http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/02/03/myword.